All of our pigments, binders and mediums are non-toxic and safe to work with. They do not contain any hazardous ingredients. However any material no matter how benign should be handled with care, especially when handling a cup or more of dry ingredients, or liquids that can spill. Here are some guidelines for safety:
- Avoid breathing pigment dust. The use of a nuisance dust mask is recommended.
- Avoid getting dust onto hands or clothing. Wear protective clothing such as aprons and rubber gloves, and wash up with soap and water after handling pigments. Do not eat or drink while handling powdered pigments. Keep hands away from face and eyes. If pigments get into eyes, flush liberally with water.
- Cover work surfaces and clean up thoroughly when finished. Powders can be wiped up with a wet disposable towel.
- Avoid using powders where fans or blowing air are present.
- Open pigment containers carefully to avoid spillage. After use ensure containers are closed securely and free of residue.
- Keep all pigment containers clearly marked.
- Have dedicated tools and containers that are used just for your pigments.
- Pigments are not suitable for food use and are not meant to be used as food coloring.
- Pigment Powders are not suitable to be handled by children.
- Ochers, Earths and Mineral pigments are not biodegradable, (not broken down by living organisims). Therefore they should be disposed of in a responsible manner to protect fresh water sources.
Although non-toxic, Linseed oil, boiled or refined, has a strong odor and should always be used with good ventilation. Finished paints should be allowed to dry also under good ventilation. Some people may experience light-headedness, headache or nausea if exposed to strong fumes without fresh air. Linseed Oil, as with most oils, can become combustible at high temperatures and can cause other materials, commonly rags used for clean-up, to become flammable. Rags containing linseed oil should not be stored. Linseed oil creates heat as it dries and rags improperly cleaned or stored can spontaneously combust. To work safely with Linseed Oil, follow these simple guidelines:
- Use only with adequate ventilation during application and drying phases.
- Do not get Linseed Oil on your skin or onto your hands where it could accidentally get into your eyes. In case of eye contact, flush eyes liberally with water. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after use.
- Clean up completely after use.
- Any rags used for application or cleanup should be treated in the following manner: Allow rags to dry completely by laying them out flat in fresh air, preferable out doors, for at least 24 hours, or wash rags in detergent and water, thoroughly removing all residue. Allow waste water to rinse completely down the drain.
- Cap all containers securely in between use, wiping them with a cloth to be sure they are clean and dry.
Waxes and Resins
- All waxes and resins should be melted over an enclosed hot plate and never over a direct flame where they could catch fire.
- To avoid flash fires, observe all melting point recomendations and do not overheat. Never leave melting wax unattended.
- Any fire should be extinguished by smothering with a damp cloth or nonflammable material. The flames may also be extinguished by covering with baking soda or using a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
- To avoid overheating when combining ingredients with different melting points, always melt the material with the higher melting point first, then add the material with the lower melting point to combine.
Glycerin and Borax
- May cause eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes. If this occurs, flush liberally with water.
- Cap or close all containers securely in between use, wiping them with a cloth to be sure they are clean and dry.
- Clean all work surfaces well and wash hands with soap and water after use.